The CAB Family Literacy Program matches UCSB students with children in the local community to read together in an effort to increase the love of reading. Tutors will spend one hour a week with a child, reading together and helping with homework. This position will be run by two (2) coordinators (bilingual preferred) who will share the following duties, and honoraria:
1) To promote the Family Literacy Program through advertisements, flyers, phone calls, radio spots, and any other means possible to recruit new tutors and families.
2) To coordinate the application and matching process with the UCSB students and children in the community.
3) To keep in contact with the families participating to ensure that the program is meeting their needs.
4) To keep in close contact with the participating student tutors to ensure that the program is providing sufficient resource for them in their service, and to contact prospective tutors and train those interested.
5) To provide a minimum of two (2) activities per quarter in which the tutors can interact with their children outside of the home environment.
6) To maintain an adequate inventory of books, games puzzles, markers, stickers, etc. for the tutors to use with their children.
7) Hold three (3) office hours per week.
8) Participate in two (2) or more volunteer activities per quarter.
9) Actively participate in the planning process for CAB’s annual Volunteer Week and provide assistance during the week’s events.
If you submit an application via this website, it will not been reviewed by CAB. Please submit an application via their website: https://cab.as.ucsb.edu.
Position Length: One Academic Year
Number of Openings: 0